Saturday, December 13, 2014

Those that are About to Die



DC Comics released a company-wide crossover series that changed the face of comic books and the industry forever in 1985. Spanning 12 issues, this finite “maxi-series”, called the Crisis on Infinite Earths was meant to change the ongoing continuity of the characters they’d been publishing over their then 50 year history. As a young reader at the time, I was completely enthralled by this tale. I’ll admit at the time I was reading more of the Marvel titles than DC, even though I felt more affinity towards DC. Superman and Batman. Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Green Lantern and Green Arrow. These guys I knew much better than the Hulk or Iron Man or Captain America. CRISIS brought me back into their worlds with such a great blow; I wouldn’t leave for another quarter century.

Once CRISIS had concluded and new titles were being released and old titles were being revamped, the company was looking for the next big crossover hit. LEGENDS was meant to be that hit, and within it a number of new titles were going to be introduced. One of which was the newest incarnation of the Justice League, soon to be called the Justice League International. Another was what would become one of the greatest, most interesting and influential series to come out of the late 80’s. It was the Suicide Squad.
 
THE SUICIDE SQUAD was the brainchild of Editor Robert Greenberger and writer John Ostrander. In fact, you can read Mr. Greenberger’s own words about the Squad here. Though the Squad originated in old DC war comics, this iteration would be almost wholly new, with more than just a nod to the past. A good in- and out of-house advertising campaign, as well as an incredibly striking first issue cover had me more than intrigued to read the series when it was released. Their introduction in LEGENDS was brief and interesting, initiating a lengthy involvement with Batman and other costumed heroes of the DC Universe, but it didn’t even come close to how good the book itself would become.


Imagine the Dirty Dozen with costumes and super powers
and you have the basics of the Suicide Squad.

Characterization and story were a high point within the original 66-issue run (plus specials) of the series, which introduced readers to greatly fleshed out versions of bottom-tier villains or long forgotten heroes. With a strong espionage background, many characters came out of print retirement to really shine, such as the former Charlton Comics character of Sarge Steel
and Tom Tresser, the Nemesis.
By and large, the series was structured around the best “supporting character” ever to come out of comics, the potent Amanda Waller. This is how I imagine Amanda when I think of her, regardless of recent interpretations in comics or television:

Amanda is either loved or loathed, depending on the reader, or even the characters she’s involved with in a storyline. You will see what I mean as I roll out my plan for what will, over the course of time, be my ultimate review of a series I cannot love enough.

Recently, as can be seen in Bob Greenberger’s column (if, at this point, you haven’t read it, go do so, I’m not saying it again), Warner Bros has released information regarding a Suicide Squad movie starring a few ‘name’ actors. While I’d rather see something more in tune to the series I enjoy so much, it’s definitely going to be geared towards the series currently being produced, within the continuity auspices of the present “Nu52” DC Universe. That’s fine, particularly if it brings more attention to what started it all, and who started it all. And because of all this added attention, I’m going to do something I’ve wanted to do for some time now, which is re-read the series in its entirety, from the beginnings in LEGENDS to the crossover issues with the Justice League, Captain Atom and others, to the incredibly downbeat and overlooked DEADSHOT mini-series and beyond. It’ll be irregular, hopefully once a week, maybe even more so. When they’re posted, they’ll be here. Share them as much as you want; I don’t mind. The Squad was one of the series that really got me heavily into letterhacking, the lost art of writing to letter columns for print. Maybe when the time comes, I’ll investigate that, too.

 

2 comments:

  1. What do you think of the Arrow show having them as a team?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No opinion, really. I've only seen the first two episodes of ARROW. I have seen some of the images and it's hit or miss on certain aspects of the character visuals, but I really can't say one way or the other without having watched more than I have.

    ReplyDelete